The #hashtag is one of the most powerful tools when it comes to social media marketing. There are some guidelines to follow to optimize #hashtagging to its full potential. A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog #Hashtagging 101 explaining what a #hashtag is and some of the best practices to follow when applying it to your social media marketing campaign.
– The #hashtag represents an important social media strategy.
– A fitting tag can help drive brand recognition, boost the reach of an advertising campaign and positively impact customer loyalty.
– Use the #hashtag symbol (#) before a relevant keyword or phrase to categorize Tweets and help them easily show up in the Twitter search.
– #Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end.
– #Hashtags will not appear in search if your account is protected or private.
– Don’t over-tag a single Tweet. Twitter officially recommends no more than two #hashtags per Tweet.
– Using too many hashtags devalues the strength of the hashtag and makes each additional one more meaningless than the last. It could lose you followers and permanently cheapen your brand’s social media reputation.
– Choose just one #hashtag to speak for your brand and strengthen consumer awareness.
– Live Q&A sessions, also called Twitter chats, are discussions that can be organized around a #hashtag. These sessions can be organized either on the fly or at a pre-arranged time.
– Even though #hashtags were born online, they can generate giant amounts of buzz outside of the internet as well. Placing a #hashtag in a well trafficked public location or somewhere seen on TV or in pictures can drive #hashtag use.
– Choose a #hashtag that is both easy to remember and crystal-clear. Even through acronyms or multi-word phrases might be more specific and make it easier to weed out false positives, complicated #hashtags often don’t work as intended.
Based in Rochester, New York, Netsville is an Internet Property Management company specializing in managing the Digital Marketing, Technical, and Business Solutions for our customers since 1994. For more information, please click here.